WD's Trademark and Logo Usage Guidelines for Authorized Third Parties
WD's trademarks, logos and slogans are valuable assets to WD and its brand and act to distinguish WD's products ("WD Products") from its competitors' products. WD takes many steps to protect against unauthorized or improper use of its trademarks, logos and brand. Third parties that are authorized by WD to use its trademarks, logos and slogans are required to use them in a proper and consistent manner and in accordance with these Guidelines and the terms and conditions of any agreement you have with WD.
Although WD allows authorized third parties to use WD's logos and trademarks if they follow these Guidelines, WD retains all ownership rights in its logos, trademarks and brand. Any goodwill or legal rights created from use of WD's logos, trademarks and brand are for the benefit of and inure to WD alone and not any third party. WD has the complete discretion to revoke any right to use WD's logos, trademarks and slogans, even if such use is not expressly prohibited by these Guidelines. WD may modify these Guidelines without notice to you. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are referring to the current version of these Guidelines.
The following are authorized to use WD's logos and trademarks and must abide by these Guidelines:
- Original equipment manufacturers ("OEMs") who purchase internal hard disk drives or solid state drives from WD for integration into non-WD Products;
- Authorized distributors who purchase WD Products directly from WD for distribution only in regions authorized by WD ("Authorized Distributors");
- Members of the myWD Partner Program ("myWD Members") who purchase WD products directly from Authorized Distributors; and
- Other third parties that are authorized in writing by WD to use WD’s trademarks, logos or slogans.
If you do not fall within one of the above listed categories and would like to use WD's trademarks, logos or slogans, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your right to use WD's trademarks, logos and slogans is non-transferable, which means that you are not authorized to give others the right to use WD's logos and trademarks without WD's express, written permission.
OEMs, distributors, myWD Members, integrators, retailers, resellers and other third parties (collectively, "Customers") using or selling WD Products acquired from unauthorized sources or counterfeit products are not permitted to use any WD trademarks, logos or slogans.
It is your responsibility: (i) to ensure that you are acquiring non-counterfeit products from sources selling legitimate WD Products and (ii) to know which region the Authorized Distributor may sell the WD Product you are purchasing and to only sell such purchased WD Products in the same region. Furthermore, Customers that purchase WD Products from Authorized Distributors outside of the region where the Customer intends to sell such WD Products are not permitted to use any WD trademarks, logos or slogans. Inquiries regarding authorized or unauthorized sources should be sent to email@example.com.
- WD is giving you limited, non-exclusive and fully-revocable permission to use its logos, trademarks and slogans in a truthful, fair and non-misleading manner and in compliance with these Guidelines and the terms and conditions of any agreement you have with WD. You may not use WD's trademarks or logos in a way that is misleading, deceptive, libelous, defamatory, infringing, obscene, offensive, damaging or disparaging to WD's brand, or otherwise objectionable to WD in its discretion. Do not use WD's trademarks or logos in connection with any photograph that does not display a genuine WD product or packaging.
- Always use trademarks and logos in the manner intended by WD. Do not use them for goods or services for which they were not originally intended. You may not modify, distort, change, abbreviate, shorten or hyphenate WD's trademarks or logos. Do not flip, rotate, stretch, or add effects to WD's logo. You may not abbreviate or create acronyms out of WD's trademarks.
- Do not incorporate WD trademarks or logos in your own product names, service names, trademarks, logos, company names, or Internet domain names. You may not use or adopt trademarks or logos that are confusingly similar to a WD trademark or logo. You also may not take any action that is inconsistent with WD's ownership of its trademarks, logos, slogans or brand.
- You may not register a trademark, logo, domain name, or social media account in WD's name or attempt to register a trademark, logo, domain name or social media account that is confusingly similar to a WD trademark or logo. You may not copy or imitate in whole or in part the look, feel, design or trade dress of WD's products, packaging, collateral materials, website or social media pages.
- If you are using WD's trademarks or logos to describe WD or its products, be truthful and accurate. Do not use WD's trademarks or logos to make unsubstantiated claims about WD or the quality, capacity or specifications of its products. Any questions about the language that you can use to describe WD or its products should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You may not use WD's trademarks or logos on or in connection with any website that displays adult content, promotes violence or hate speech, sells or distributes unauthorized, grey market or counterfeit products, or violates any laws or regulations.
- If you are authorized by WD to use WD's logos or trademarks, you must include a proper trademark attribution notice. The proper trademark attribution used by WD is:
WD, the WD logo, [alphabetical, properly spelled and capitalized list of WD trademarks, for example: MY BOOK® and MY PASSPORT®] are registered trademarks or trademarks of Western Digital Technologies, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.
Some countries have additional attribution requirements or may require translation of attribution notices to a language other than English. Please consult with email@example.com if you have any questions about the proper attribution notice to use for your country.
You must mark WD's logos and trademarks with the proper symbol, which is either ® or ™. Proper marking of WD's trademarks and logos is important to give others notice that WD claims trademark rights to the mark or logo. If it is not possible to use the ® or ™ symbol, you must use (R) or (TM). WD updates its list of U.S. registered and other trademarks on its website at https://www.wdc.com/about-wd/legal/trademarks.html.
If you are using WD's logos, you must always use ® with the logo. WD's approved logo artwork includes the proper marking for WD's logos. For WD's trademarks, you should use the appropriate symbol at the first or most prominent use of the mark. You are not required to re-mark the trademark on subsequent uses of the trademark, but doing so is not improper.
There are strict restrictions in the U.S. and other countries on use of the symbol ®. Do not use the ® symbol in any country where the trademark has not been registered. Please consult with firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the proper marking to use in your country.
- You acknowledge that WD takes no position regarding the quality of products or services that you offer. You shall make no claims or implications that WD endorses or is affiliated with your products or services.
- Unless otherwise agreed to in writing by WD, in no event shall WD be liable for any direct, indirect, punitive, special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of, or in any way connected with these Guidelines, your usage of any WD trademark or logo, your products containing internal hard drives or solid state drives manufactured by WD, or your relationship with any end users, whether based on breach of contract, tort (including negligence), strict liability or otherwise.
- Unless otherwise agreed to in writing by WD, you will defend, indemnify and hold WD and its employees, officers, directors, successors and assigns harmless from any and all claims, actions and suits based on your use, sale, marketing and distribution of any products containing internal hard disk drives or solid state drives manufactured by WD or your use of WD trademarks or logos.
Additional Guidelines Regarding Use of the WD Logo
If you are using any of WD's logos, you must use only WD-approved artwork and you must follow the WD Brand Identity Standards, which are updated frequently and found at https://studio.wdc.com/. These Brand Identity Standards specify the format, spacing, color, and font requirements for WD's logos. You may find WD approved artwork at https://studio.wdc.com/.
Additional Guidelines Regarding Use of WD Word or Slogan Trademarks
Consult with WD's list of trademarks for proper spelling and capitalization. This list found at https://www.wdc.com/about-wd/legal/trademarks.html.
For example, if you are referring to WD SmartWare™, you must capitalize "WD" and also the "S" and "W" of SmartWare.
WD's trademark list is updated frequently and you must check it to make certain that the list has not changed. If you have any questions about the spelling, formatting or capitalization of a WD trademark, or if there is a trademark that you believe should be on the list but is not, please contact email@example.com.
- Use WD's trademark as an adjective to describe a product, such as "a My Book® hard drive" and not in place of the product itself, such as "buy a My Book®." (Remember, it is a My Book® brand hard drive, not a "My Book.") Do not use any WD trademarks as a verb or in the plural or possessive form. For example, do not say, "My Book's new design is fabulous!" Instead, you should state, "The new design of My Book® hard drive is fabulous!" Do not use WD's trademarks as puns, slang or portray them negatively. For example, do not say, "WDelicious!"
- Do not make up your own trademarks and attribute them to WD or combine them with WD's trademarks.
- Do not combine WD's trademarks with your or another companies' names, trademarks or domains, or use them in a way that suggests an affiliation between WD and your or another company, or sponsorship or endorsement by another company of WD's products unless you have authorization from WD.
If you would like to use one of WD's trademarks or logos in film production or commercial television, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
October 13, 2015