|Virtual CD (VCD) Manager for Windows|
A small portion of drive space on your new My Passport or My Book hard drive has been used to create a
Virtual CD (VCD). The VCD contains the WD SmartWare installation software, the encryption and password protection application, User Manuals, and other resource files. The VCD looks like an actual CD volume and appears on the screen each time you connect your WD drive to the computer.
The VCD is necessary if you wish to install WD SmartWare or if you want to use the encryption and password protection features on the drive.
If you don't wish to run WD SmartWare or use the security features, you can disable the VCD following the steps below. The VCD can be re-enabled by running the VCD Manager.
There are two steps to this update. You'll find detailed instructions below.
Step 1: Update the drive firmware (recommended)
Step 2: Download and run the VCD Manager.
IMPORTANT: The following precautions should be taken before installing the firmware update.
- Before updating the firmware on your drive, make sure you have a copy of all the data on your drive stored on a separate device.
- An available USB port on your computer is required. Your drive MUST be connected to your computer through the USB port to update the firmware.
- If you are using a laptop, please make sure the battery is sufficiently charged
- During the firmware update, DO NOT disconnect or disrupt the power to the drive.
- All AntiVirus software MUST be disabled.
- All Anti-Spyware software MUST be disabled.
- ANY and ALL programs that would require drive access during the update MUST be disabled .
- An internet connection is required to install the firmware update.
Step 1: Update the Drive Firmware (last updated 9/24/2014)
- Disconnect all other external drives from the computer except for one My Book or My Passport.
- Download WDFirmwareUpdater.zip to your desktop.
- Extract the file using an extraction utility.
- Once extracted, double-click on the file named WDFirmwareUpdater.exe.
- Click "Continue."
- Click "Accept" on EULA.
- Please wait a few minutes until the required update modules are downloaded.
- If the drive displayed is the correct drive, click "Update Firmware."
- Please wait a few minutes while your drive's firmware is updated.
- Click "Exit."
- Please remove the USB and power cable. Wait 10 seconds and then connect the power cable and USB cable.
- Reboot your computer.